Tuesday 16 October 2012

Back to the MySpace part 1

Hello world,

Strap yourselves into the metaphorical DeLorean blog fans as I’m about to take you on a trip to a lane of memories that I like to call “BACK IN TIME TO MY FUTURE/PAST”. It’s going to be a bit like that film from the 80's but not that film and no actual time travel will take place, or will it??? It won’t.

Picture the scene. Huey Lewis and the news is blaring out of the one working car speaker as we hit 88mph, bish bash bosh time travel has occurred.

It’s a cold grey October day and the year is 2006. Song man Bill Haley has been dead for 25 years, the world is still laughing at TV double act Ant & Dec’s big screen debut; Alien Autopsy, and BBC radio 5 Live has just announced the sad news that Justin Hawkins, lead singer of the band The Darkness is leaving to go solo. Somewhere in a small English town a slightly younger me has just gone back to college to study art after spending ten years fitting blinds and curtains, and all the Kool Katz are banging on about this new mysterious thing called “A MySpace”.

Being the hip dude I am I naturally followed the trend and got myself “A MySpace” account, added a suitably wacky profile picture and set off on the journey of a lifetime. MySpace was great; it was like Facebook before Facebook became Facebook. You could force people to listen to songs that you liked, follow famous people off the Telly and show the world some videos you’d found on the new interweb phenomenon “YouTube”. But the best thing about a MySpace was you could write a blog about anything you wanted. I took to this new blog malarkey like Noel Edmonds took to insincerity and quickly began creating endless blogs about my life and the things I thought about. Wanting to add some colour I began decorating each entry with pictures I’d made; some entries were even read by up to 20 people. Life was great, I thought to myself “MySpace is sure to live forever and soon I’ll be popular”.

Of course good things can’t last. It turned out that nobody ever read my blogs and those 20 views were my own. Even the might of MySpace began to wane, eventually being cruelly stabbed in the back by the “trendy” new kid on the block “Facebook”. I never took to Facebook, I didn’t get it, I didn’t like the change, and what the hell is a poke? “What was wrong with MySpace” I’d ask my classmates to increasing stony silence. “Hey granddad” the hip cats would wheeze. “MySpace is like so 2006 man, it’s 2007 and the Facebook is the thing we like now”. Now these guys were undoubtedly “with it” and as a guy rapidly approaching 30 with the need to appear "cool" I felt these kids must be right. So with a heavy heart I said goodbye to my beloved blogs, deleted my account and put the few happy months I’d spent with MySpace down to a phase I was going through and got on with my new “better” MySpace free life.

Anyway let’s go slink back to the DeLorean and head back into the future of the modern days of now. BANG! Right we’re back.

It’s 16th October 2012 again and I’m desperately searching my hard drive for an important file I need when what do I stumble across? It's only all the old blogs I’d written for the MySpace. With genuine excitement I forgot about the file I needed and spent the next hour rereading all the entries I’d written 6 years ago. If I’m honest most of what I read was unfunny rubbish and at times bordered on being highly offensive. Time is often a cruel mistress and reflection a powerful tool.

The moral of this rambling story (if there is one) is the stuff you liked and did years ago is rubbish so do better!

Below is a genuine vintage real life MySpace blog entry I made dated 12 May 2007. If you find it difficult to read please remember that it’s taken from the olden days when the internet was rubbish (remember my moral message).



Also I’ve rejigged the look of the blog a bit so you can now follow the blog if you want.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment